Crystal Palace the jewel of the annual Brussels Fall Fair
The Crystal Palace was for decades, an impressive central focus for the annual Brussels Fall Fair. It was May 1906 when the East Huron Agricultural Society decided it would tear down the old exhibition hall, constructed in 1876, and replace it with a new one.
Plans were drawn up by an architect in Listowel. With its two extending wings and Maltese Cross design, the structure was truly going to be a work of art. The final cost of the building was $3,145.
On Oct. 5, 1906, the Honourable Wm. Patterson, along with the Perth Infantry Band of Stratford, opened the annual fair. The cermony, which was seen by the nearly 2,000 people who were attending that day, was held on the balcony of the new Crystal Palace.
That evening the East Huron Fall Fair Concert played to a full house as the new hall enjoyed its house-warming. The Perth Infantry Band, Hartwell De Millir, a Toronto baritone soloist, Irene Sheadon, elocutionist and highland dancers entertained.
Every year for almost eight decades the Palace was in full swing at least once a year.
The fair was moved to the new community centre in 1984. The Palace, which once rang with the sounds of laughter and fun, sat empty and silent for many years until it was finally demolished in August 2004.