Logan’s Mill
Nestled in the heart of Brussels is the structure known as Logan’s Mill. It was built by John Logan in 1914-1915 to replace a mill that had been destroyed by fire. In fact, two previous grist mills had suffered the same fate because of a combination of a flammable structure (wood) and highly combustible grain dust. Logan’s Mill was made of cement and has stood the test of time. However, the mill ceased operation in 1967 as it was no longer profitable.
Fast forward about fifty years and a group called Maitland Mills had a dream to restore historic mills in both Gorrie and Brussels though the Gorrie mill has since been demolished. The group became the owners of Logan’s Mill in 2025. With the help of consultants, the Maitland Valley Conservation Authority and planners, the focus today is to make Logan’s Mill a museum with self-guided tours to allow tourists, school tours and the public access to a walk back in time. Included in the plans is a display of mill equipment on the first floor as viewed from a second storey enclosed walkway as well as storyboards that would relate the purpose and function of a working mill. Up-to-date technology will be used by means of QR codes to reveal interesting facts about the many mills that once took their power from the Maitland River.
This historic treasure is located at 567 Sports Drive across from the ball diamond. After passing the mill, one can cross over the Maitland River to the Brussels Conservation Area and wander on groomed walkways through a park replete with flowerbeds and lovely shade trees. A pavilion for al fresco dining is also on the property along with washrooms and a children’s playground.
This is an area that invites people to visit often to watch the progress of the Maitland Mills group.
To arrive at Logan’s Mill, turn east off Brussels’ main street, Turnberry St., on Elora St.. To find the Brussels Conservation Area, turn east from Turnberry St. onto Queen St., then south on Albert St.

.

