Positioned in the middle of Clinton, nearly at the centre of Huron County, is a FPS-20 search RADAR antenna, originally donated by the Canadian Forces Bases Clinton 1967 as a monument to the country and the people trained at the base.
The base, located where Vanastra is now, was Canada’s first RADAR school, opening in August, 1941 with courses starting a month later, teaching members of the military from the United States and Canada how to use the relatively new technology.
The site trained nearly 9,000 students by the end of World War II: more than 6,500 Canadians and over 2,300 Americans.
The monument, located where Victoria, King and Ontario Streets meet in Clinton, was presented to the town of Clinton by the base in honour of the Canadian Centennial and commemorates the establishment of the first RADAR training school in North America.
The dish was formerly part of the North American Air Defence System.