Bayfield Town Hall the village’s home of year-round events
Bayfield Town Hall has a long history and, thanks to energetic local residents, remains a vital place for community and cultural events.
The Hall was built in 1882, then moved to its present location on Clan Gregor Square in 1920. It was the seat of village government from that date until 1927 and again from 1965 to 1984. When the Village was disincorporated, the Town Hall was used for community events. Renovations were completed in 1981 with financial support from the Federal Government and local community.
In 1989 a committee was formed to restore the Town Hall, which by then had fallen into disrepair. Many of the residents of Bayfield had fond memories of the Town Hall as the centre of village life and were reluctant to see it disappear. The committee, then known as “The Friends of the Town Hall” re-energized community interest in the building and after several years of volunteer work, fundraising events, private donations and grants, sufficient monies were raised to restore and maintain this historic building as a meeting and performance venue for the Village. The restoration maintained the integrity of the original structure, including keeping the former village jail which still remains, uninhabited, in the basement.
Today the Bayfield Town Hall Heritage Society, a non-profit corporation is in charge of the building’s upkeep.
To learn more about the hall or to peruse the coming events, visit bayfieldtownhall.com.